Young People (13-18 years)

Young People (13-18 years)

Adolescence is the time between childhood and adulthood. It is a time where young people grow physically and become more independent and individual. Adolescence can be a difficult time with many challenges for young people and families.

Some issues that young people may seek health care for include sexual health, risk-taking behaviours, depression or anxiety, gender issues or eating problems.

Who we care for

Most young people will get good health care from their General Practitioner (GP). GPs may refer on to a paediatrician (all paediatricians have training in both child and adolescent health care). Some nurses, GPs and paediatricians have a special interest or training in adolescent health and may offer specific clinics such as the family planning clinics (in the community) or eating disorder clinics.

Confidentiality is an important consideration for young people. During your appointment, you will have an opportunity to speak with the health professional on your own if this is something you are comfortable with.

Paediatric clinics for young people are located at the Royal Hobart Hospital, Launceston General Hospital, North West Regional Hospital (Burnie) and Mersey Community Hospital (Latrobe).

Your adolescent care team begins with

The young person (you) and family/caregivers You and your caregivers are important members of our health care team, you look after yourself and your condition every day. You can tell us about your health and how your condition affects your everyday life. We will include you in decisions about your health.
General practitioner (GP) Your GP takes care of your general health needs within the community. They often provide initial assessment and can refer to a paediatrician if more specialised care is required. Your GP can provide care in between more specialist appointments and assist with prescriptions and community care plans/action plans for your family or school. They will receive updates from other professionals.
Paediatric registrar The paediatric registrar is a doctor training to become a specialist such as a paediatrician. Once they have met with you they report back to the paediatrician or relevant specialist.
Paediatrician The paediatrician is a key member of your health care team, they provide specialist medical care and look at your health holistically. Your paediatrician often takes the lead in providing a diagnosis or organizes referrals for tests or specialist input. They look after your holistic care needs and receive updates from other members of your health care team.
Specialist nurse For young people with eating disorders and mental health issues, the specialist nurse is your main contact point. They will help you to organize your care and assist with communication between team members. You can talk to them if you have questions or concerns. Depending on your needs, the nurse may provide education and support, giving you the information you need to care for your condition.

Depending on individual needs the following health professionals may also provide care

Dietitian The dietitian will assist in the assessment and management of your nutritional needs related to your condition. They will talk to you about your diet and make recommendations to support your health and growth.
Physiotherapist Physiotherapists are experts in musculoskeletal assessment and treatment they can help with motor skills (such as walking), joint problems, pain and fatigue.
Occupational therapist (OT) Occupational therapists help people to participate in activities they find meaningful and daily activities that they need to do.  These activities include self-care (such as mealtimes or getting dressed), play, learning, school, work, leisure, hobbies and spending time with friends and family.  Occupational therapists assess and assist with movement, thinking, sensory processing and equipment.
Psychologist A psychologist works with you to understand the impact your condition has on your life and helps you to overcome challenges, change your behaviour and improve your mental health.
Mental health clinicians Mental health professionals can be doctors, nurses, counsellors or other health care staff that help with different aspects of emotional and mental health and wellbeing.
Social worker Social workers can provide counselling and teach skills to help you cope with problems with your health, relationships or circumstances. They can help you understand your rights and help to advocate for you.
Psychiatrist A psychiatrist is a doctor who is an expert in mental, emotional and behavioural disorders. They can help you to understand your thoughts, behaviours and feelings and provide assessment, diagnosis, therapy and treatment to help manage your condition.
Paediatric intensivist  

How to access care for young people

A general practitioner referral is required.  Your GP can submit the referral by following the directions on the Department of Health, Tasmania's outpatient clinics website.

Other supports >>

Youth Health Services   Youth health staff work with young people to assist them to make informed life and health decisions, they offer a free, confidential service to people 12 - 24 years. This service can provide assistance, education, counselling and support relating to many issues that young people may experience. You do not need a referral for access, you can contact your local team directly using the phone numbers below.

North: Ravenswood Community Health Centre Phone: 6777 3006

North West: Phone: 0400 333 608
South: Pulse Youth Health South - Phone: (03) 6166 1421

Headspace Headspace is an organisation for young people 12 -25 years old. They provide support and counselling around mental health, physical health, drug and alcohol use and vocational services for work or study support. You can access Headspace in different ways including by phone, online or in-person at a local headspace centre in Devonport, Launceston or Hobart.

24 hour phone counselling and support 1800 650 890

Online support is available at eheadspace Support | headspace

Family Support Services

(Strong Families Safe Kids)

Some families may require increased support through a community organisation due to the complexity of their situation or other vulnerabilities.
School Through the Education Department, schools can access extra support or services to meet health and disability needs. It is important to discuss any individual requirements with school staff.
24-hour crisis lines There are crisis lines available for young people 24 hours per day these include: Kids Helpline 1800 551 800 (5-25 year olds)

Lifeline 13 11 14

Family/relationship violence or sexual assault 1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732)

Contact us >>

SouthNorthNorth West

Royal Hobart Hospital
Paediatric Outpatients
Lower Ground
Argyle Street Hobart Tas 7000

Phone: (03) 6166 0000
Fax: (03) 6173 0469

Launceston General Hospital
Paediatric and Adolescent Outpatient Clinics
Level 3
Charles Street Launceston Tas 7250

Phone: (03) 6777 5247
Fax (03) 6777 5242

North West Regional Hospital
Paediatric Outpatients
Brickport Road Burnie Tas 7320

Phone: (03) 6493 6300
Fax: (03) 6464 1928

Mersey Community Hospital
Torquay Road Latrobe Tas 7307

Phone: (03) 6478 5219
Fax: (03) 6441 5928

Disclaimer: this website contains general health information and does not replace the advice of a health professional.

Always contact ‘000’ in an emergency.

Oncology Small