The Tasmanian Paediatric Rehabilitation Service (TPRS) is a statewide service.

Our team of doctors and allied health professionals work together to provide specialised rehabilitation care. We provide care in different locations across the state. Depending on your needs, we might see you during a hospital stay or at an outpatient appointment.

We aim to help you and your family to:

  • achieve your highest level of skill and independence (function)
  • maximise your quality of life
  • take part in everyday activities that are important to you.

Who we care for

We care for children and young people who need specialised rehabilitation support due to a health condition (such as an illness, injury or disorder) or after a medical or surgical procedure. Access to our service is based on clinical need and priority.

Some common conditions we see are:

  • cerebral palsy
  • brain injury
  • other neurological conditions
  • complex orthopaedic conditions
  • spina bifida
  • spinal cord injury
  • functional neurological disorder
  • limb difference
  • deconditioning following a long hospital stay, surgery or illness

Our specialist outpatient clinics include:

  • Paediatric Rehabilitation Clinic. For specialised rehabilitation assessment and reviews.
  • Botulinum Toxin (Botox) Injection Clinic. For the management of movement disorders.
  • Combined Orthopaedic and Rehabilitation Clinic. For paediatric rehabilitation patients who need specialised orthopaedic input.
  • Spinal Clinic. For people with spina bifida, spinal cord injuries or illnesses.
  • Paediatric Brain Injury Clinic. For people with concussion / brain injury.

Your rehabilitation team usually begins with

Child, young person and family/caregiver Children, young people and their families and caregivers are valued members of our health care team. You have a unique view on how your family works and the impact the condition has on your everyday life. We create management plans with your input.
Rehabilitation specialist doctors Rehabilitation specialist doctors are experts in the assessment and treatment of conditions that affect the way your body functions.   They will review your health at each clinic appointment, make sure you receive the care and tests you need and will be involved in making decisions about your care.
Paediatrician Your paediatrician is a key member of your health care team, they provide specialist medical care and look at your health holistically. Your paediatrician often takes the lead in providing a diagnosis or organises referrals for tests or assessment with other health professionals.
General Practitioner (GP) Your GP takes care of your general health needs within the community. They often provide initial assessment and can refer to a paediatrician if more specialised care is required. Your GP can provide care in between more specialist appointments and assist with prescriptions and community care plans/action plans for your family or school. They will receive updates from other professionals.

Depending on individual needs you may be linked with the following health professionals or services

Physiotherapist Physiotherapists are experts in musculoskeletal assessment and treatment. They can help with motor skills (such as walking), joint problems, pain and fatigue.
Occupational therapist (OT) Occupational therapists help people to participate in activities they find meaningful and daily activities that they need to do.  These activities include self-care (such as mealtimes or getting dressed), play, learning, school, work, leisure, hobbies and spending time with friends and family.  Occupational therapists assess and assist with movement, thinking, sensory processing and equipment.
Social worker Social workers can provide counselling and teach skills to help you cope with problems with your health, relationships or circumstances. They can help you understand your rights and help to advocate for you.
Speech pathologist Speech pathologists are experts in speaking, language and communication. They can also help with assessment and therapy around feeding and swallowing.
Psychologist A psychologist works with you to understand the impact your condition has on your life and helps you to overcome challenges, change behaviour and improve your mental health.
Dietitian The dietitian will assist in the assessment and management of your nutritional needs related to your condition. They will talk to you about your diet and make recommendations to support your health and growth.
Paediatric nurse A paediatric nurse may help to gather supporting information, complete pre-assessment work up and meet with you to perform a clinical assessment.
Orthotist and prosthetist Orthotist/prosthetists assess and treat the physical and functional limitations resulting from illnesses and disabilities.  They prescribe, design, fit and monitor orthoses and prostheses.
Other medical specialists Other medical specialists that we can refer to include orthopaedic surgeons (muscle and bones), urologists (urinary issues), neurologists (brain), geneticists (genetics), and endocrinologists (hormones). At times we also utilise services from the Gait Laboratory in Victoria.

How to access the rehabilitation service

A general practitioner referral is required.  Your GP can submit the referral by following the directions on the Department of Health, Tasmania's outpatient clinics website.

Other supportsĀ  >>

Early Childhood Early Interventions (ECEI) The Early Childhood Intervention approach is available to all children aged under 7 years with a developmental delay or a disability.

You contact the ECEI team directly on 1800 800 110 to make an Access Request.

National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) Depending on your child’s needs, they may be eligible for NDIS funding for disability support and equipment.
Child Health and Parenting Service (CHaPS) CHaPS work in partnership with families of children 0-5 years of age and aim to enhance the health and wellbeing of all young children in Tasmania. They provide child health and parenting information, support, assessment and advice. Services provided include completion of age-related growth and developmental assessments from 2 weeks to 4 years of age and assistance with breastfeeding/feeding issues, nutrition, sleep and settling, post-natal depression and wellbeing, child-parent communication and behaviour management. Services are provided from many community locations.

You can contact ChaPS directly on 1300 064 544

Family Support Services

(Strong Families Safe Kids)

Some families may require increased support through a community organisation due to the complexity of their situation or other vulnerabilities.
School Through the Education Department, schools can access extra support or services to meet health and disability needs. It is important to discuss any individual requirements with school staff.
Early Childhood Intervention Service (ECIS) ECIS support children with a disability or developmental delay from birth to school entry, and their families. The aim is to provide parents and families with the knowledge, skills and support to meet the changing needs of their child and to optimise the child’s development and ability to be part of family and community life. Parents may refer their child to Early Childhood Intervention Service.

You can contact ECIS on 1800 816 057 or by email:

Contact us >>

The Paediatric Rehabilitation Service is a state-wide service with clinics in each region.

SouthNorth North West

Royal Hobart Hospital
Paediatric Outpatients
Lower Ground
Argyle Street Hobart Tas 7000

Phone: (03) 6166 0000
Fax: (03) 6173 0469

Launceston General Hospital
Paediatric and Adolescent Outpatient Clinics
Level 3
Charles Street Launceston Tas 7250

Phone: (03) 6777 5247
Fax: (03) 6777 5242

North West Regional Hospital
Paediatric Outpatients
Brickport Road Burnie Tas 7320

Phone: (03) 6493 6300
Fax: (03) 6464 1928

Mersey Community Hospital
Torquay Road Latrobe Tas 7307

Phone: (03) 6478 5219
Fax: (03) 6441 5928

To contact the Rehabilitation Service please email:
(please note this email address is only monitored during business hours)

Disclaimer: this website contains general health information and does not replace the advice of a health professional.

Always contact ‘000’ in an emergency.

Oncology Small