Paediatric endocrinology is a medical sub-specialty dealing with the way hormones act in the body. We provide outpatient consultation and inpatient advice for children and adolescents in all regions of Tasmania. The Paediatric Endocrinology Clinic provides assessment and management of endocrinology problems in young people, including thyroid, puberty, growth, pituitary, adrenal, sex differentiation, calcium and bone mineral metabolism disorders, and endocrine tumours.

Who we care for

Children and young people with endocrinological conditions in all regions of Tasmania. Clinics are undertaken at The Royal Hobart Hospital, The Launceston General Hospital and The Northwest Regional Hospital. Access to our service is based on clinical need and priority.

Your endocrinology team usually begins with

The child (you) and family/caregivers Children, young people and their families and caregivers are valued members of our health care team. You have a unique view on how your family works and the impact the condition has on your everyday life. We create management plans with your input
Paediatric endocrinologist The paediatric endocrinologist is an expert in conditions affecting hormones. They will review your health at each clinic appointment, make sure you receive the care and tests you need and will be involved in making decisions about your care. The paediatric endocrinologist will also be an ongoing support to your paediatrician.
Endocrinology nurse The endocrinology nurse is your main point of contact. Depending on your needs, the nurse may provide assessment, education and support. They can help you to organise your care and assist with communication between team members.
Paediatrician Your paediatrician is a key member of your health care team, they provide specialist medical care and look at your health holistically. Your paediatrician often takes the lead in providing a diagnosis or organises referrals for tests or assessment with other health professionals.
General practitioner (GP)Your GP takes care of your general health needs within the community. They will receive updates from the specialist paediatric endocrinology team.

Depending on individual needs the following health professionals may also provide care

Social worker Social workers can provide counselling and teach skills to help you cope with problems with your health, relationships or circumstances. They can help you understand your rights and help to advocate for you.
Psychologist A psychologist works with you to understand the impact your condition has on your life and helps you to overcome challenges, change your behaviour and improve your mental health.
Dietitian The dietitian will assist in the assessment and management of your nutritional needs related to your condition. They will talk to you about your diet and make recommendations to support your health and growth.
Pharmacist The pharmacist will help you understand your medication and keep your medication plan as simple, safe and helpful as possible. The pharmacist can also give support to doctors as required.

How to access the endocrinology service

A referral from a paediatrician is preferred. Referrals from GPs may be accepted or redirected for assessment in the general paediatric clinic. Referrals can be submitted by following the directions on the Department of Health, Tasmania's outpatient clinics website.

Other supports >>

Child Health and Parenting Service (CHaPS) CHaPS work in partnership with families of children 0-5 years of age and aim to enhance the health and wellbeing of all young children in Tasmania. They provide child health and parenting information, support, assessment and advice. Services provided include completion of age-related growth and developmental assessments from 2 weeks to 4 years of age and assistance with breastfeeding/feeding issues, nutrition, sleep and settling, post-natal depression and wellbeing, child-parent communication and behaviour management. Services are provided from many community locations.

You can contact CHaPS directly on 1300 064 544

24/7 parenting information and support is available through an associated service, The Parent Line on 1300 808 178

School Through the Education Department, schools can access extra support or services to meet health and disability needs. It is important to discuss any individual requirements with school staff.

Family Support Services

(Strong Families Safe Kids)

Some families may require increased support through a community organisation due to the complexity of their situation or other vulnerabilities.

Contact us >>

SouthNorth North West

Royal Hobart Hospital
Paediatric Outpatients
Lower Ground
Argyle Street Hobart Tas 7000

Phone: (03) 6166 0000
Fax: (03) 6173 0469

Launceston General Hospital
Paediatric and Adolescent Outpatient Clinics
Level 3
Charles Street Launceston Tas 7250

Phone: (03) 6777 5247
Fax (03) 6777 5242

North West Regional Hospital
Paediatric Outpatients
Brickport Road Burnie Tas 7320

Phone: (03) 6493 6300
Fax: (03) 6464 1928

Mersey Community Hospital
Torquay Road Latrobe Tas 7307

Phone: (03) 6478 5219
Fax: (03) 6441 5928

Disclaimer: this website contains general health information and does not replace the advice of a health professional.

Always contact ‘000’ in an emergency.

Oncology Small